The weekly list of free educational events and resources for the association community…
Podcast alert! Dave Coriale of DelCor is hosting a new podcast, Reboot IT, about all things association tech. Look for it and subscribe on your favorite podcatcher. Only two episodes are out so you don’t have much catching up to do!
In a recent webinar, WBT Systems and three other association tech providers discussed three big ideas from the 2019 ASAE Annual Meeting. Do you agree with their selection?
Amanda Kaiser at Smooth The Path points out three smart things the Healthcare Financial Management Association is doing on their new website—in contrast to many association websites.
Are your chapters having a hard time keeping their leadership pipeline full? Billhighway describes how you can help your chapters overcome typical volunteering and leadership challenges.
MemberSuite shares eight ways you can use word-of-mouth marketing to increase membership.
You rarely see business articles about the abundance mindset, but here’s one by Kyle Goguen at Inc. Too woo-woo for you? It may well be but I’m telling you, it works.
Quick hits before we get to next week’s free webinars:
- 200+ icebreaker questions designed to build trust, connectedness and psychological safety. (Range Labs)
- Looking for more icebreakers? Subscribe to Rob Walker’s The Art of Noticing Besides his usual great content, he’s been sharing quite a few interesting icebreakers lately. (The Art of Noticing)
- How to survive content by committee. Isn’t that the worst? Don’t miss those days. (Rusty Weston, Content Marketing Institute)
- Create a content marketing strategy in seven “easy” steps. I added those quotation marks because developing a strategy is never that easy, you do have to think hard, but it’s immensely doable. (Anna Hrach, Convince & Convert)
- 13 books from high school worth rereading as an adult. (Melissa Locker, Fast Company)
- A few wins last week, including king mackerel with sesame and herbs, a New York Time recipe for salmon, but adaptable for other boldly flavored fish.
- Flounder piccata is always good—and quick.
- Just two words: swordfish belly. It is out of this world. Jim grilled some for my birthday dinner, alongside bluefish and NY strips, sweet potatoes and cabbage. Oh yeah, started with NC shrimp cocktail (I made that), and finished with three kinds of pie: pecan, lemon, and coconut custard (Nancy Jo’s made them). Our fish and shrimp came from Locals Seafood, of course. All NC raised and caught, except for the damn cow—Jim’s idea, not mine.
Here are the educational events scheduled for next week. If you have any free webinars or events coming up, please send me the link. I’ll be happy to feature it as long as it’s not product-centric.
Tue 9/3 at 12 p.m.* – Storytelling with Data (Association Data Analytics Brown Bag)
This opportunity is for association professionals who are responsible for reporting analytics to leadership, Boards of Directors, and other stakeholders, to come together (virtually) in a free-flowing environment to share their lunchtime and discuss data analytics topics. 1 CAE credit. More info/register.
*All times are Eastern Daylight Time unless otherwise noted.
Wed 9/4 at 1 p.m. – Data Analytics for Government Relations & Advocacy
Discover the benefits of data collection and analysis for your association’s GR/advocacy/lobbying programs. Learn how to segment and match your members by federal or state legislative district and gain actionable insights by blending relevant constituent and asset data for analysis; document industry/profession economic contributions and impact by district and/or state; identify and engage crucial targets, influencers, and grass tops and grassroots activists; and use blended data from all your technology solutions to track engagement and empower your most engaged. More info/register.
Host: Gravitate Solutions
- Anne DeSeta DarConte, CAE, senior director, HillStaffer
- Cecilia Sepp, CAE, founder, Rogue Tulips
- Rob Miller, CAE, senior vice president, Gravitate Solutions
Thu 9/5 at 1 p.m. – How to Spark High-Impact Learning: A Modern Skills Development Model
According to LinkedIn research, 94% of employees would stay longer at a company that invests in their professional development. What kind of learning experiences actually drive employee loyalty and business performance? Hear practical advice and proven examples of what works and why. 1 CAE credit. More info/register.
Host: Talented Learning
- John Leh, CEO and Lead Analyst, Talented Learning
- Paul Morton, Regional Director, CrossKnowledge
Tue 9/10 at 8:30 a.m. CDT – Partnership Professionals Network Idea Exchange (Chicago IL)
In the coming few months, associations might hear from their corporate sponsors/partners “your association isn’t in our budget for next year.” What to say? How to respond? Can the relationship be saved? Location: Chicago IL. More info/register.
Host: Association Forum
Facilitator: Dan Kowitz, Founder & CEO, JSB Partnership Consultants.
Tue 9/10 at 3 p.m. – Gaining a Competitive Edge with Content Strategy (Washington DC)
What sets an association apart from the competition? In one word, CONTENT. An impactful content strategy can add member value, expand your influence, bust the internal silos, and help you achieve your business goals. But how do you develop—and implement—such a strategy? How do you get buy-in from the top to the trenches? Join other association CEOs, COOs, and senior leaders for an open forum on content strategy. Location: Washington DC. More info/register.
Organizer: Meena Dayak, founder, Associations Catalyzing Entrepreneurship (ACE), and Vice President, Integrated Media & Communications, American Public Power Association
- Carrie Hane, founder, Tanzen Consulting
- Dina Lewis, CAE, president, Distilled Logic
- Hilary Marsh, president and chief strategist, Content Company
Tue 9/10 at 3 p.m. CDT – Digital Transformation 2019: Now, Next Year and Beyond (ASAE Technology Section Council Roundtable – Chicago IL)
Digital transformation of member engagement, data management, content curation, and your products and services are all worthy and needed opportunities to modernize, digitize and transmogrify, but what have you learned along the path? And how are we using that knowledge to course correct for the future? Bring that knowledge to this roundtable, share your successes and failures, and hear your peers talk about their experience as well. 1 CAE credit. Location: Chicago IL. More info/register.
Organizers: ASAE Technology Section Council and Association Forum
Wed 9/11 at 1 p.m. – Turn Member Engagement and AMS Data into Effective Marketing
Member data tells us how to communicate, not the other way around. A strong member lifecycle ecosystem incorporates simple, actionable data with intelligent campaigns and member communications. Every system is important along the member journey, from AMS and LMS to support, marketing automation, and online communities. Learn how the data you collect—community engagement, e-mail engagement, demographics and transactions in your AMS—can supercharge your member outreach by tailoring content to each individual member. 1 CAE credit. More info/register.
Hosts: MemberSuite and HigherLogic
Thu 9/12 at 12:30 p.m. – Blended Data – the Key to Member Engagement Scoring
New statistics show that on average, only 20% of member data is captured in the typical association’s AMS. Benefiting from member engagement scoring is so difficult with such a limited view. Learn about the concept of blended data. Find out how simple it is to enjoy comprehensive member engagement scoring and quickly see improvements in the three areas that matter to most associations: member retention, new member acquisition, and conference registration. 0.5 CAE credit. More info/register.
Presenter: Rob Miller, MPA, CAE, senior vice president, Gravitate Solutions
Thu 9/12 at 2 p.m. – The California Consumer Privacy Act & Its Impact on Associations
Learn about the details of this new legislation and how associations can best prepare themselves. More info/register.
Hosts: ReviewMyAMS and Fonteva
- Jake Fabbri, CMO of Fonteva
- Teri Carden, founder, ReviewMyAMS
That’s it for now. If you can’t attend a live webinar, go ahead and register if the topic interests you. Most webinar hosts send registrants a link to the recording.
Creative Commons image by skeeze via Pixabay