The weekly list of free educational events and resources for the association community…
One of my soapbox topics is associations taking a more holistic and innovative approach to sponsorships, so I enjoyed reading this MemberSuite post on sponsored experiences. They provide several examples to get you thinking, including some hallway activations at PCMA’s Convening Leaders.
WBT Systems channels Ralph Waldo Emerson in their post about the need for self-reliance in lifelong learning if you want to remain relevant in the workplace. They explain how associations can get this message out and help members and customers become self-reliant learners.
Are you still using sales funnels to map your customer journeys? Forget that. Lifecycle marketing is where it’s at, says Julia McCoy at Marketing Profs.
Billhighway shares two chapter transformation stories told by component relations professionals at the Association Component Exchange (CEX) back in October. One’s about a chapter struggling with poor event attendance that now sells out events (and grew membership too), and the other’s about a chapter that couldn’t fill leadership positions but now has a full leadership roster and pipeline.
Is a new AMS, LMS or CMS in your future? Read the highlights of DelCor’s Dave Coriale’s podcast conversation with Gretchen Steenstra about system selection.
Quick hits before we get to the list of this week’s free education:
- 7 phrases leaders should stop saying in 2020. I’ve seen a few posts about overused business jargon lately, but this one features unique examples. (Ginny Hamilton, Enterprisers Project)
- TikTok: what it is and why you need to know how it works. (Kelly Samuel, Forbes)
- The big data of big hair. Based on my hairstyles in the past, I correctly guessed the year for peak big hair. (Elle O’Brien and Jan Diehm, The Pudding)
- In praise of art books. Yes. (Tyler Cowen, Marginal Revolution)
Good eats—skip down to the list of free webinars if you’re not into cooking:
- As soon as I saw the name of this recipe, lentil kielbassoulet, I was in. I love cassoulet, but who has the time for duck confit? This Bon Appetit shortcut gave me an excuse to buy really good kielbasa from Mae Farm—they’re right next door to my seafood store in the farmers market. The results: a hearty and tasty Sunday dinner.
- Two busy weeknights had me relying on old faithfuls. First, my three-step dredge for pan-fried white grunt—that’s a fish, y’all. One, dredge in flour. Two, dip in buttermilk with hot sauce. And, three, dredge in seasoned cornmeal. This time, I added some panko breadcrumbs to the cornmeal.
- My second standby was for NC swordfish. If you’re a regular reader, you’ve seen this one before: melted butter with lemon juice, garlic salt and Aleppo pepper flakes.
- A meal doesn’t seem complete unless the plate includes a protein, veggie and starch, or two veggies. Three’s the magic number unless I’m making a one-bowl meal, like pasta or stew, although I’ll make a vegetable too if the bowl isn’t veggie-forward. Sweet potatoes are a regular starch around here, but in a pinch, a can of white beans comes in handy. Throw them in a pan with some garlic, rosemary and lemon zest, and voilà.
- I can never remember ingredient ratios for pancakes so I’m always consulting a recipe. Cook’s Illustrated has a good one but I saw this buttermilk pancakes recipe in my stream, so that’s what I made for Sunday breakfast. It’s a keeper! I added blueberries and served them with breakfast sausage from Mae Farm.
Here are the educational events scheduled for next week. If you have any free webinars or events coming up, please send me the link. I’ll be happy to feature it as long as it’s not product-centric.
Mon 3/2 at 1 p.m.* – Chatting with Agnes & Cecilia
This series of 15-minute videos cover hot topics and issues related to 501c organization management. A new episode is posted every Monday by 1 p.m. More info.
- Cecilia Sepp, CAE, CNAP, principal and founder, Rogue Tulips LLC
- Agnes Amos-Coleman, MBA, CMP, education, conference, event, certification consultant, Amos-Coleman
*All times are Eastern Standard Time unless otherwise noted.
Tue 3/3 at 11 a.m. – The Imposter Phenomenon in High Achieving Women
Up to 70% of women and men, especially high-achievers, experience imposter syndrome at some point in their career. This false belief system leads some people to self-sabotage, turn down career and growth opportunities, and limit their own career trajectories. Learn about imposter syndrome and how you can begin to overcome this negative thought cycle. Find out how to identify and normalize imposter thoughts and learn an effective strategy to cope with this fearful thinking. More info/register.
Host: Insight Partners
Presenter: Paulette Rao MCC BCC, Executive Coach, True North Resources
Tue 3/3 at 12 p.m. – Data Hygiene: Making Your Data the Right Data (Association Data Analytics Brown Bag)
For association professionals who are responsible for reporting analytics to leadership, boards, and other stakeholders, share your lunchtime and discuss topics such as customer facing analytics. Online conversations will include presentations and attendees discussing challenges and key points on each topic. 1 CAE credit. More info/register.
Organizers: Association Analytics Network
Tue 3/3 at 2 p.m. – Association Chat on Twitter (#assnchat)
Join an online tweet chat with fellow association professionals by following the #assnchat hashtag on Tuesdays at 2 p.m. Check KiKi’s Twitter stream for the latest details.
Wed 3/4 at 12 p.m. – What Are Associations Looking For When Hiring Today? A Conversation with the “Lobbyist Hunter” (online and Washington DC)
Better understand what associations are looking for today when hiring senior leaders, learn the “5 Ps” that all association government relations advocacy professionals need to master, and get your questions about today’s job market answered by the go-to executive recruiter of association and government relations leaders. Locations: online and Washington DC. More info/register.
Organizer: ASAE Government Relations and Advocacy Professionals Advisory Council
Presenter: Ivan Adler, President, Ivan Adler Associates
Moderator: Tommy Goodwin, Head of Government Relations, Project Management Institute
Wed 3/4 at 12 p.m. – You’ve Heard of Data Visualizations—What About Content Visualizations? (Alexandria VA)
Have you ever thought of bringing together all of the good stuff your association has in too many internal places and third-party systems into one dashboard-like visualization? Hear about content visualization-forward ways to drive prospects and new members to all of your content while also introducing long-time members to great content that is not on their radar. 1 CAE credit. Location: Alexandria VA. More info/register.
Organizer: Association Insights in Old Town
Presenter: Adam Hostetter, CEO of FUSE Search
Wed 3/4 at 12:30 p.m. – Career Navigators in Component Relations and Volunteer Management
Hear from three association professionals who all have taken various paths in leadership but all have one thing in common – they started in component relations and volunteer management. Get advice, ideas, and motivation to jump start your career journey. Learn about ASAE’s Career HQ and the resources that your ASAE membership provides. More info/register.
Organizer: ASAE Component Relations and Volunteer Management Professionals Community
Wed 3/4 at 1 p.m. – The Hidden Value of Event Apps
Attendee satisfaction is consistently a top metric used to measure the success of events. But do you consider the event app a key factor in determining attendee satisfaction? Learn why mobile apps are the new event Swiss-army knife, how to help attendees achieve their own event objectives, and how to determine metrics that focus on attendee engagement. More info/register.
Host: Meetings Today
Presenter: Lauren Turner, Mobile Solutions Team, Cvent
Wed 3/4 at 2 p.m. – Why They Won’t Join: Why Associations Are Losing Members (and What To Do About It)
In recent years, national research has indicated a slow but steady decline in membership. The majority of associations now report flat or declining membership. Is this a new norm to simply accept? Learn about triggers that have either led to the decline or exponential growth depending on how the association responded to those triggers. More info/register.
Host: XYZ University
Presenter: Sarah Sladek, founder and CEO, XYZ University
Thu 3/5 at 1 p.m. – GDPR Overview & Implementation Recommendations for US-based Nonprofits and Associations
Get an overview of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) framework and how it relates to nonprofits and associations based in the U.S. Learn about GDPR requirements and responsibilities, and best data privacy practices. Find out how to plan for implementation and develop a GDPR compliance plan. More info/register.
Organizer: ASAE Technology Professionals Community
- Dorothy Deng, Partner, Whiteford, Taylor & Preston LLC
- Wendy Sahli, Director of Technology, Regulatory Affairs Professionals Society
Thu 3/5 at 2 p.m. – The Next Frontier in Learning: Continuing Education by Text (Association Chat aka #assnchat)
A series of conversations with students in Yemen left Michael Ioffe with an idea—that text messages could be used to bridge the digital learning access gap. That idea became Arist, the first text message university, which was just named a finalist in Fast Company’s 2019 World-Changing Ideas competition. More info/register.
Host: KiKi L’Italien, senior consultant, Tecker International, and founder, Amplified Growth
Guest: Michael Ioffe, co-founder of Arist
Thu 3/5 at 3 p.m. – Refresh Your Meetings and Events (Reston VA Idea Swap)
Meetings take a ton of work and are often a hallmark of an association’s outreach, be they conferences, conventions or members’ summits. In this presentation, you’ll learn—and apply—a few easy techniques to see your own events with fresh eyes and get actionable, innovative solutions to improve them. This collaborative session is focused on refreshing meetings and events so they are more engaging, fun, profitable, or serve to better connect attendees and share knowledge. 1 CAE credit. Location: Reston VA. More info/register.
Organizer: ASAE Greater Washington / National Capital Community
Presenter: Lee Gimpel, founder of Better Meetings
Association Brain Food Weekly is published Friday mornings. If your organization offers free professional development for the association community, please send me the link via email or Twitter before Thursday afternoon.
Creative Commons image by Nicolas Moscarda via Unsplash